To achieve satisfactory and consistent quality, many natural and synthetic sweeteners require purification to remove color, undesirable taste and odor, and turbidity.
Ecosorb® Multifunctional Adsorbents are more effective at removing many of these contaminants than powdered activated carbon (PAC). Ecosorb products are a family of moist, dust-free powders with excellent filtration characteristics.
Benefits of Ecosorb adsorbents versus traditional PAC include:
- Reduced dosages required due to the superior adsorbent capacity of Ecosorb products
- Elimination of diatomaceous earth body feed generally required when filtering PAC
- Reduced solid waste generation (50-90% reduction is typical)
- Ability to run either as a slurry addition followed by filtration, or as a precoat operation, where adsorption is achieved as feed stock passes through an Ecosorb precoated filter
- Ability to remove contaminants that PAC will not remove
Typical applications include:
- Reducing color, taste, odor, and turbidity in liquid sugar and bottling syrups
- Cane sugar refining to reduce color, odor, and turbidity prior to crystallization
- Beet sugar decolorization
- Reducing color, taste, odor, and turbidity in HFCS (high fructose corn syrup)
- Reducing color, taste, and odor in sorbitol, mannitol, and other natural and artificial sweeteners
- Reducing color in maple syrup
- Reclaiming scrap sugars