Why do MetSorb® adsorbents sometimes have a bad smell and how do we get rid of this odor?
MetSorb adsorbents are made from metal oxides and rarely have any noticeable smell. They can sometimes concentrate bacteria (specifically sulfur reducing) that may be present in the drinking water well source. While this type of bacteria is naturally found in many well sources and are considered harmless, the resulting “rotten egg” smell can be unpleasant. In order to remove the bacteria from the MetSorb® media bed, we recommend performing a 25-50 ppm chlorine shock for 12-24 hours. The system should then be rinsed with fresh water until no residual chlorine odor is noted. If bacteria count in the well water is high, this chlorine shock of the MetSorb® media may be required 2 or 3 times per year.